- Search engine optimization, or SEO, is a hot skill in today’s online job market, whether you are designing websites, writing website copy or trying to market a product or service online. SEO writing employs techniques to maximize the chance of consumers finding a Web page through common search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing. Online SEO certification programs teach you those techniques, and being certified in SEO may increase your online employ ability.
The purpose of online SEO certification is to train writers and Web designers in the most current search engine optimization techniques, and to provide a credential that proves to potential clients or employers that you have a certain level of search engine optimization proficiency. Be aware that some online SEO schools offer professional SEO certification programs, while others simply offer a certificate of completion for SEO courses.
Because SEO techniques are not standardized, the curriculum of online SEO certification programs varies. Common topics include how search engines work, SEO keyword analysis, internal and external linking, Meta description tags and organic copywriting. Some online SEO certification programs focus only on search engine optimization, while others also include information about Internet marketing, Pay-Per-Click, public relations and other related subjects.
Online search engine optimization certification programs may cost as little as $50, or as much as several thousand dollars. Some SEO schools require one up-front tuition payment, while others ask you to pay for each class separately. Train SEM, out of Australia, offers one of the most affordable self-study online SEO certification programs at only $175. Market Motive offers a 90-day instructor-led online SEO certification course that costs $3,500.
Expensive online SEO certification programs are not necessarily better. Check the content and time frame of individual programs to see if the curriculum fits what you need from a certification program. Search for reviews and endorsements of individual schools to see if they have an established reputation. The SEO Consultants Directory (see Reference section) offers a list of SEO certification programs, annotated with insider reviews that could affect your choice of SEO school.
Although SEO certification may give you a boost in the online job market, certification is not required, and there are other ways to learn SEO techniques. Free resources such as Ross Goldberg’s informative e-book about maximizing your website’s traffic (see Resource section) may provide you with enough SEO knowledge to get started. Online content distribution companies such as Suite 101, Remilon and Demand Studios offer SEO training for writers or have SEO techniques built into their guidelines.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) leads to more traffic to your website. The more SEO content that you have on your site, the higher that your ranking will be on search engine results. The way to create SEO content is to make use of keywords on your webpages. Read on to learn how to create SEO content.
- 1 Select the right keywords. Keywords should be specific and not general phrases. For example, if you are selling handbags, Italian leather handbags would be a better keyword phrase to use than simply handbags.
- 2 Put at least one of your keyword phrases in your SEO content title. Make sure the title reads like a title. If it looks like spam, the search engines may remove it.Easy visual Structural Equations, CFA, Path, Growth, Multilevel mode.
- 3 Place the keywords strategically throughout the copy. The keywords ideally should be in the beginning and ending paragraphs at least once and several times in the middle portion.
- 4 Write at least 200 words of web copy. This is the minimum amount that most search engines look for when ranking pages.
- 5 Use meta tags in your HTML coding. Meta tags filled with keywords will get you listed higher in some search engine results.
- Internet Marketing is a rapidly growing method of advertising and promotion. Companies that specialize in search engine optimization and internet marketing can help your company appear at the top of the search engine results; therefore, leading more traffic and business to your website. There are several companies that are experts in this area, based on their customer base and their reputation in the industries.
- Instead of spending business profits blindly, you should consider organizing them with QuickBooks Simple Start. Create a company profile to track the amount of money that’s coming into and going out of your business. You’ll know your current financial status without having to guess.
Downloading and Installation
- 1 Visit the Quick Books homepage to gain access to QuickBooks Simple Start. Once the page has completely loaded for you, click the “Products and Services” tab located at the top of the page. You’ll be instantly directed to a page containing details about the Quick Books Simple Start application. There will be a comparison chart to inform you about the features and benefits of the program. A few examples include creating invoices, tracking sales or expenses, and organizing your customers’ data information.
- 2 Click the “Free Edition” link located in the center of the page to use Quick Books Simple Start free of charge. On the next page, select the blue “Download” button to begin the download process to your current computer system. You’ll be prompted to enter your valid email address into the webpage. After you’ve typed this information, press the blue “Start Download” button. A pop-up window will appear for you to save Quick Books Simple Start to your computer. Click the “Save File” button and wait for the application to be downloaded
- 3 Open the downloaded Quick Books Simple Start file on your computer system. During the initial setup process, Quick Books Simple Start will connect to the Intuit servers to download all templates and other necessary files to make it run successfully. Click the “Next” button to move through the setup process. Once this setup has been completed, Quick Books Simple Start will close the pop-up window.
- 4 Launch the Quick Books Simple Start program by double clicking onto it from your computer desktop. Watch a tutorial to familiarize yourself with the program by selecting the “Overview Tutorial” icon. If you’d like to practice a little with Quick Books Simple Start, choose the “Explore Quick Books” icon. It will allow you to use a sample company for your practice sessions. Select the “Create a New Company File” if you’d rather jump right into using Quick Books Simple Start.
- 5 Enter new information about your company into Quick Books Simple Start. Click the “Create a New Company File” to begin. A pop-up window called “Setup Interview” will appear for you to navigate through. Select the “Next” button to move forward. Type detailed information about your company such as its name, address, phone number, email address, and website. Answer the question about how your company is organized. For example, it can be a sole proprietorship with one owner, a partnership, or a corporation with one or more shareholders. If you’re uncertain about this step, click the “Other/None” option to continue setting up.
- 6 Answer financial questions about your company such as how customers pay you for services or products. You’ll even have the opportunity to inform Quick Books Simple Start about charging sales taxes. Once you’ve answered all of the necessary questions, your new company profile will be created. A special folder named “Company Files” will be created by Quick Books Simple Start on your computer system to store information.
- 7 Press the “Home” icon located at the top of the Quick Books Simple Start application. Begin adding customers to your new company profile by clicking the “Customers” icon next to “Your Business.” From the drop-down window, choose the “New” option. Enter the customer’s name, opening balance, address, phone number, and other important customer data. Once you’ve completed this, click the “OK” button to the right of the window. Repeat this process for each new customer.
- 8 Add expenses for your company by selecting the “Vendors” icon and then “New” from the drop-down list. Fill in the details about the vendor such as name, address, phone number, and other information. When you’ve finished, click the “OK” button. Set up your bank account by choosing the “Bank Accounts” icon on this page. You’ll be immediately prompted to enter the name, balance, routing number, and account number for your bank.
- 9 Send invoices to customers. This can be quickly done by clicking the “Invoices” icon on the page. It will open up a blank invoice for you to fill in the details. Choose a customer from the drop-down list and their information will appear in the “Bill To” section of the invoice. Enter the item, description, quantity, and price by typing into the blank fields. When you’ve finished, just select either the “Print Later” or “E-mail Later” box. Press the “Save and Close” button to finish working with the invoice. Pay your monthly or weekly expenses by pressing the “Record Expenses” icon. It will allow you to enter cash or credit amounts that are part of your regular expenses.
- Making sure your books and client lists are in order is important for any business, big or small. Programs like Simply Accounting and QuickBooks can make tough administrative tasks manageable. Also, should you change the type of software you use, many programs have options to import your previous files into your new software, such as importing files from Simply Accounting into Quick Books.
- 1 Open Quick Books by selecting the program from the “Start” menu or clicking on the Quick Books desktop icon.
- 2 Click “File” once you have opened Quick Books. Then click “Import.”Easy visual Structural Equations, CFA, Path, Growth, Multilevel model
- 3 Choose the files from Simply Accounting that you would like to import from the screen that appears. You can import anything from deposits to invoices to purchase orders.
- 4 Click “Next” and then “Finish.”
- Using software to manage your small business is essential to its success. Accounting, database and word processing software applications can document and track your financial matters and handle inventory, client lists, marketing materials and correspondence. These tools are widely used and relatively inexpensive, compared to the value they provide in managing your small business.
Your primary software tool will be an accounting software program. Software programs such as Quick Books, Quicken, Peachtree Accounting or Moneydance can manage all of your bookkeeping needs. These applications will track your business expenses, account balances, deposits and tax information, and produce printable reports to view financial status at a glance. Premier versions of the software allow you to cut and print checks and manage payroll. Average software pricing ranges from $100 to $300.
Use a database program as a tool to manage your inventory and customer lists, especially if you tend to be disorganized. Programs such as Microsoft Access, FileMaker and Database Oasis allow you to enter data into tables, where records can be categorized, queried and reported upon. This tool provides one reference area to document, track and pull your business’ core information on products, sales, costs and customers. Database software tools will run you about $150 to $500, depending on the number of features and users you will need.
Microsoft Word is the most popular and recognizable word processing software program. Use Word to create and manage correspondence, invoicing, marketing materials, mailing lists, customer lists and any other documentation. Word and Microsoft Office online offer hundreds of templates to help you create professional-looking documents. Purchase Word as a stand-alone application for about $140 (as of 2010), or as part of the Microsoft Office Suite for $150 to $500, depending on your business needs.
- So many new business owners think that all they have to do is build a great website and people will come. It would be great if this were so, but it’s not. There is a second step that is essential. You must market your small business website. Generating traffic and finding your way to the top of search engine traffic is the second step in creating a profitable small business website. Here’s how you can take the first steps to small business website that is profitable.
- 1 If you haven’t already named your website, one of the most helpful things you can do to insure that your website is found by the search engines is to create a name that is as close as possible to how your customers will perform a search. This does not mean you have to change the name of your business, just the name of your website. For example, suppose you have a hair salon in Denver, Colorado. The name of your business is “Shear Bliss.” Shear Bliss will not get picked up by the search engines, but denverhairsalon.com would. This principle is true regardless of whether your business is local or world wide. You would benefit from researching your name choice to see how it will fare in search engines. The Google keyword search tool can help you with this..
- 2 Next, you must develop keyword-friendly content for your website. Find out what your best keywords are using the keyword tool suggested. Marketing your small business website requires that you use these keywords throughout the website. The best way to use that naturally and without being obvious about it is to hire a professional writer who understands keyword content to write the copy for your website. The proper density of keywords is as important as the keywords. It is just as possible to have too many keywords as too few. Some of the keywords in the example given above are: salon, salons, hair salon, hair, beauty salon, nail salon and hair care. If your salon offers a variety of services, list them all on the front page and then add a page for each item where you can create keyword dense articles on each service to draw the search engines to those as well.
- 3 It is helpful to add links to your website and links on other websites to your website. A very good way to do this is by writing articles about anything relevant to your business. Add them to your website. Hire a professional writer if you are not comfortable doing this; the writer should write articles that are keyword dense, but not advertisements. An article for your hair salon website would be something like “Tips to Keep Your Hair Looking Healthy.” Use the keywords hair and hair care. Post the article on the appropriate page or on an article website and link back to your website.
- 4 Promote your site. Open up a Twitter account and start to connect with people who would be interested in what your business has to offer. Post links to your articles in your tweets and encourage people to visit. This will help draw the search engines attention to the site, as well.